Each year in the United States alone, about three million people are injured in auto accidents.
Even minor fender benders can cause lingering pain and long-term injuries if not properly addressed. Read on to learn more about the most common vehicular injuries that chiropractors see, and how conservative treatment helps.
- Whiplash Injury – If you are struck from behind in a rear-end collision, you will likely have some symptoms. Up to 83% of people involved in a car accident will suffer from a whiplash injury. Pain from a whiplash injury is often centered in the back of your neck, but can also spread to your shoulders, shoulder blades, and arms. Tension headaches, dizziness, and even TMJ problems are possible. Watch this video for a more in-depth look at what causes whiplash and how the recovery process works.
- Back Pain – Lower back pain is another commonly reported symptom following a car accident. You may feel local tenderness and discomfort, and your range of motion may be limited. Untreated back pain can often lead to more significant problems down the road, so it’s best to address this type of injury early on.
- Knee Pain – Some collisions can cause knee injuries (i.e., knees striking against the dashboard). Knee pain can be a sign of irritated or damaged ligaments and cartilage. Chiropractic care is especially helpful in making sure those injured joints, ligaments, and muscles heal correctly.
- Muscle Pain – Wide-spread soft tissue pain and soreness is a very common complaint following automobile accidents. Auto accidents place extreme stress on muscles, tendons, ligaments, and discs. Irritated or strained soft tissues cause pain and stiffness.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help
Soft tissue damage can be likened to a rope that has been stretched beyond its capacity. Excessive straining causes swelling and some degree of bleeding (like a laceration) that eventually becomes scar tissue. Restoring movement and function BEFORE the scar tissue has finished forming is crucial.
- Chiropractic care can speed up the recovery from auto injuries with a combination of treatments:
- Joint Manipulation helps restore motion to restricted joints
- Therapy Modalities decrease spasm, pain, and inflammation
- Myofascial Release helps relieve muscle tightness and limit scar tissue adhesions – Prescribed Exercises strengthen muscles to help improve function and create stability
If you’re suffering from pain after an auto accident, don’t wait to call. Our team of injury experts will create a plan to get you back to health!